Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reading Response 4 - "A Cook's Tour"


“I’ve learned something on the road. I doesn’t do to waste. Even here – I use everything” (274).

This was the last phrase of Bourdain’s book “A Cook’s Tour” really struck me not only because it was the end, but also because of how direct and powerful it was. To me, there can be two different interpretations of this, the surface level and the deeper meaning. What can be taken at face value from this statement is that what Bourdain learned through his experiences traveling around the world to find the ‘perfect meal’ is that people should use everything when preparing a meal. As much as I’d like to settle for this simplistic answer, I feel as though there is much more going on.
Here is a man who has spent a large part of his life battling an addiction to drugs and probably feels as though he missed out on a lot of experiences because of that, yet he has gotten past those struggles and is now able to have the life he wanted. While he was writing this final chapter, he was with his wife on vacation in the French West Indies, realizing the simple pleasures in life are the most important. It is about living in the moment.
            I have gone through phases in my own life where is has been one giant pity party. Months have gone by where the majority of my time is spent letting something small take over my life, making me believe that my life will never recover, rather than being grateful for my health, my family, my mental sanity, and enjoying the present moment and what it has to offer. I am really cautious about getting into these things I call ruts because it is hard to get out of them, but if I consciously try to make a mental note of the little things in life, I end up being a happier person overall.
While reading that last word of wisdom from Bourdain, I couldn’t help but smile. Sure, this guy knows he can be an asshole, is arrogant and at some points rude, but he is able to recognize how lucky he is, where he comes from and what power comes along with being who he is. This book is not only a showcase of different countries, cultures, lifestyles, and ultimately food, but one man’s journey to find a ‘perfect meal’ that leads him to a bit of self appreciation and self realization.
I truly believe that in order to lead a happy, healthy life, one needs to recognize the small things in life that make them happy. It is too easy to get caught up in the business of everyday life and forget to look around and see what is going on. For Bourdain, this trip was able to give a chance to get up close and personal with all different types of people and lifestyles. It really is about living in the moment and never wasting what precious time we have.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange because we both picked up different things about Bourdain (see my newest blog post) and your statements make me want to forgive him a bit for his vices that are dragged out throughout the story. Yes, we love imperfect characters, but we also have the right to be tired of them (in my humble opinion).

    But, I digress.

    You say, "While he was writing this final chapter, he was with his wife on vacation in the French West Indies, realizing the simple pleasures in life are the most important. It is about living in the moment."

    And isn't this true about the food too as it is with life? It doesn't have to be the fanciest meal, sometimes it is just the moment.
    Just a connection. And isn't that why he ended it that way? The contrast of wasting food and wasting life?
    That's what I got from it anyways.

    Looks like you've found your definition of healthy as well! Or at least a way to get there.

    "I truly believe that in order to lead a happy, healthy life, one needs to recognize the small things in life that make them happy."

    I like that because as we discussed in class happy and healthy can be different for everyone. Thanks for the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you with the connection between food and life. That is my fault if i didn't articulate that well enough.

    As for being fed up with his vices, I think I chose to ignore a lot of that while reading because I was reading about it rather than dealing with it. Had I been around him or had to encounter him while he was in this state time and time again, I would have gotten fed up with him real quickly.

    But that is another great thing about reading. You can experience someone else's life without having to live with it.

    ReplyDelete